Wednesday 18 January 2012

Here in Kitimat, BC

I have been here in Kitimat,BC just over a week. And I think that I am settling into a routine, here in Mike's apartment and at work.
   Bob, the Frog and I, we left Prince George, on Sunday the 8th, it was a slushy ride  west. The trip was uneventful and I didn't take pictures, even though the snowy mountains are beautiful.
  Now, the first day on the job, I was nervous, and a part of me wanted to go home, back to the safety of Mike's apartment  and then to home, my house. I feel as though I have abandoned  the responsibilities of caring for my home, my job in Prince George, and my family and yes I feel like I have ran away from home....So, I spent the week putting things into perspective....and I am okay now. All anyone can do is one day at a time. So, now I am focused on getting to know the staff, and getting to know my duties as a store manager...and getting my "To Do" list done.
  The Mall where I work is small, and there are several empty stores...and I could see in its booming years how busy it was....and I can almost see the ghosts of the past....and I can see the future, and how is could and should be.....
It is a very small town, everyone knows everyone, their kids by name.... and now the locals are curious about me and are starting to ask me questions, who I am, where I am from and why I am here...I tell them I ran away from home.....lol..
  Next to the Dollar Store is one of my favourite stores, a Book store...and I know I will find good reading material there. :) esp. my novels, knitting and photo magazines. Everything is a walk away...the bank, a grocery store, the drug store...  There is one store, I thought it was abandoned, or a hardware store, or hmm.....junk store, it is called Trigo's...it is sided with Aluminium, what you would see in the industrial parts of town, it is 3 levels, men's wear and hardware, ladies and children's, and household, that is where I found embroidery floss, and yarn, and other craft items... :) I also found a store, that contains not only health food items, there is unique clothing, and toys, Melissa & Doug, and other toys that I think my grandchildren would love. And yes, I have a small shopping list come payday. But, my first goal on my personal "To Do" list is to go to the local Day spa and treat myself to a hmmm facial, manicure...the list go one....each Wednesday day off that is where you will find me. I know there are more places to explore, not just the "shopping" but the sights and sounds of Kitimat. My Drive to work each morning greets me with the view of the mountains...It is winter here, and cold, and so with the cold comes the sun..the locals all told me about the beautiful view, and I found it....It takes my breath away....and yes I will photograph it...and share the pictures. And so it is Wednesday, my day off, it is sunny and windy out and minus 21celcius out side, and so it will be Tea, book, knitting, blanket and movie day....This is where I shall be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment