Thursday 22 December 2011

Today is Dec. 23rd. And every year since 1975 I remember. Some of the memories are clear, and some now are fading, into a mist. But, I still take time to remember...I do not want to forget.
  I am not going to explain the who what when and why's of how I got into this situation. It happened and my parents taught me to deal and solve my problems..and deal with my responsibilities...and I did.
  The days leading up to the 23rd, I was working as a preschool teacher with a  DayCare Society. And I saw alot of single moms, struggling...and missing out on so much, as their child was in our care. I was young at the time, and I decided that the child inside of me would have a better life than the one I could give. I was pretty lucky, I didn't show until the 8th month...I worked until then. the end of November...and managed to take some time off...to do....well, I decorated my apartment with decorations I bought at Kresge's...I bought a tree at Overwaitea, swim club who was doing a tree sale in those days..and I dragged that tree all the way up 15th ave to my apartment...and set it up...and filled the tree with my little paper folded stars. I wrapped my gifts to my parents, and my brothers...and sent them off and I had my friends around me. And I also spent some time at the Social Workers Office...finding the right parents for the child I  was carrying. And then to wait.....
 About 10 days before Christmas,  I did a road trip to  Burns lake by Greyhound. To see a girlfriend from College, she was setting up a Local Day Care there, and we were spending some time together...a change of scenery from Prince George. People I had met there, treated me great, pregnant  single lady and giving your baby up for adoption...they looked at me like I was bearing gifts, Madonna like, in awe..they were silent in their thoughts and opionions. It was a good visit. I had an uncomfortable trip back to PG from Burns lake...when the next morning I realize I was in labour...alone. A co-worker drove me to the hospital, and a nurse stayed with me even after she was done her shift...and I gave birth to a girl...I heard her cry, I saw her arms and legs....and then she was gone....and when they were finished with me...I recovered onthe Maturnity floor, the farthest room away from everyone else...and at night I could here babies cry and wonder if it was mine. The social worker said I should name my child...and as I lay in the hospital looking out at St. Giles Church...and the Christmas lights and decorations around the hospital...it was Christmas Eve evening all was quiet I woke from my nap and I had a name...Christa Joy...Because I knew that these Parents just recieved the best Christmas present ever...this baby girl is their Christmas Joy.... my only wish was that they would know  her name at birth, and that as I carried her inside me I took such great care of their precious gift...and I would want her to know that I want the best the world can offer her... Life..... Happy Birthday Christa, Merry Christmas......

No comments:

Post a Comment