Tuesday 2 October 2012

Our Dad, Arno Hennig







Arno Horst Hennig, was born, November 11 1929, in Lodz Poland. To parents Arno and Juliana Hennig. He was the second eldest of six children. As a child, Arno (Dad) love to read adventure stories...cowboy, wild west stories. And because of a busy household, I was told you could find our Dad under the kitchen table reading. At school, he would put his book on his lap under the table while the teacher was instructing class. And when Dad came to Canada he made sure he brought his books with him. They were important to Dad.
And so I will fast forward here.... Father and Mother's life story, as children growing up in Germany during the war, would make a great beginning of a movie or a novel....
Dad was attending Liebonzell College in Germany, to become a Minister/missionary. And on a day off from studio, Dad and a friend were riding bikes in the Black Forest  where they came upon a couple of lovely ladies. After Dad, chatting up on particular young lady, they did an exchange of addresses. They spent alot of time writing to each other, then there was the first kiss, an engagement and Dad caught the train to a ship where he sailed to Canada.
He ended up near Vauxhall Alberta, working as a "Cowboy". He continued to write letters to this lovely young lady ....Our Mom....And shortly after that she said her good-byes and came to Canada and married our father.
I think this was love at first sight, and after looking at pictures of our parents.
Mom and Dad were married for 58 years.
Martin, Dad, Julie, Ernie 
On the farm, Dad worked on the land, Mom in the house, cooking for a bachelor farmer. And then they decided to hitch hike to Saskatoon so Dad could register for school, he was to take classes to become a Lutheran Minister. Mom helped dad with learning English, Latin. The went town to small town doing church services....until Julie was expected. And being $100.00 in debt, they decided to leave school and find work. And so, they moved to Kerrobert Sask.  Where Dad was employed at the hospital, working the power plant and other jobs. While there Ernie and Martin were born.  During that time in Kerrobert, Mom and Dad took us camping and fishing, lakes such as Tramping Lake, Waterton Lakes and a big road trip out to Victoria BC, where they fell in love with the Okanogan area. Also while they were living in Kerrobet,  TVs were becoming popular and so our Dad started to tinker with television sets and putting up antennas on houses. 
And then the family did a move to Penticton BC where they set up a TV repair and Sales shop. 
Dad was just Dad, he worked, came home, we went fishing, boating. And he taught us to swim. We had wiener roasts in the back yard...Dad was Dad.
Then Dad volunteered for the Penticton Play house. The play was called Brigadoon. He worked on the sound system back stage. And I was allowed to go. During Intermission Dad took me back stage. Dad even recorded the play. I could sing every song and say every line and knew the dance steps.  That's when I saw that my Dad was not like other Dads.
I remember the day Dad went hunting, and he didn't come home. Mom was so worried. But, I knew that my Dad would come home. My Dad would find a way.
In Penticton, Roland and Gerald were born. Twins...now we are a family of 5 Kids!!!
Ernie' grad. 1976
Dad did a short time working for Noranda Mines as a prospector. And then Dad got a job opportunity to operate a Cable TV company in Greenwood, BC. Cable TV was just beginning and not even in Penticton yet! I had Cartoons running in my head!!
 The Hennig Family moved to Greenwood where Dad ran the Cable Company for Mr. Stevens. And Dad opened a TV Sales and Repair shop as well. Dad was working long hours and to spend time with the family.... to get away from things, we drove around the back roads of the Greenwood area. We had camp fires, cooked bacon eggs, hot dogs.
When Dad bought the Cable Company the family go involved. By working the with the cable system, working in the store. And if you wanted to see Dad, that what you did, you participated and worked the family business. 
Dad was Dad, he got involved with the Boy Scouts, and became Scouter Hennig. The boys at school said that our Dad was 'cool'! And I remember (when we first arrived in Greenwood) Dad was a substitute teacher.
And then came the Board of Trade, a Councillor, and then Mayor. Dad was not just Dad, he was more.
Dad was always learning something new. Whether it was Latin, Japanese, growing Shiitake mushrooms, fixing TVs and stereos, or working on his computer skills.
There was  a time when Dad was working on his Engineering Degree for the Cable Company, he was stuck on a math problem, and called my teacher Mrs. Puddy for help. He didn't stop working on the problem, and when I went to class the next day not only did my teacher have the problem solved so did Dad! He was just as smart as a teacher!
Dad was great at fixing things, from vehicle engines, lawn mowers, ski door. And if he was stuck, he would ponder and think about the problem....and eventually you knew he would have the problem solved or re-invent something to fix it.
Roland and Gerald 
Dad had a sense of humour too. At a Boy Scout Camp, the boys wanted to know what was for Breakfast. Dad told them they were having pancakes made with alligator eggs, cooked in motor oil. Another day,Dad got dressed up as a hippie hitch hiker and made a visit to Mrs. Pasco's place where the local Girl Guides has set up camp.
Or, the time when I was a teenager, wanting to sleep in until noon...Dad would put on Marching Band Music (I called it!) and you got up!
One other time, Mom and Dad were visiting Prince George. Don and I plus a few friends, took Mom and Dad camping out to Finger Lake,(near Vanderhoof BC). Our friend Lesley  found petrified wood and a rock with holes. Dad explained about the petrified wood and Lesley asked about the rock with holes. Dad with a straight face told her prehistoric ants made the holes..well, it was a great story.
And that's the thing, if Dad was showing you the mushroom barn, the power station,court house, museum, or a  project around the house....he kept you captivated and you learned something new as well. Even, when he gave a church sermon, he had a great way of telling the story.
Mom and Dad were a team, whether it was raising the children, business or politics they worked together. One supported the other. Mom always walked Dad to his vehicle after lunch...to see him off....
Dad had talent when he helped Mom knead the bread dough, together they made great bread. Dad loved having feasts and other celebrations at the house, he was right there slicing things up, or doing dishes.
I was at a City of PG function, and our former Mayor John Backhouse at the time, had asked me where I hailed from. I said, Greenwood,BC. He said, " ah yes, I had a great conversation with their Mayor. It is a small town, would you happen to know him?" I said, "Yes, I have sat at his dinner table every night for eighteen years." People spoke highly of Dad. He was ready to talk to anyone that would come through town and took a tour.
Another time at Greenwood's 100th Birthday. My children and I were watching Dad up on stage at the park giving a speech. My son, Nathan asked if Grandpa was important, like the people on TV who give speeches. I said, Yes. He said, Oh I guess we shouldn't pick our noses then.
Tracey, Caitlin, Nathan,Kimberly,Andrew and Grandpa 
At Nathan and Graces wedding, Dad gave a toast/prayer during the reception. A wedding guest asked me, what role my Dad was playing today? I questioned, Roll?? Yes, is he the Minister, Politician, grandfather, father. I answered with, all of the above. That is just who my father was...
When I think about my brothers, his grandchildren, great-grandchildren. I see traits in all of us that came from our Dad. His love of Reading, Writing, telling a great story, music, sense of adventure, love of the outdoors,fishing, camping, the love of his home, his hometown, community spirit, spiritual,celebrations with family, friends. The love and commitment to his life long partner his wife, sense of humour, compassion, always a gentleman, not afraid of hard work, responsible, good work ethics, and I am sure there are lots more I didn't list.
I will miss Dad, I will miss our walks to the Mushroom Barn, up to City Hall, the Museum, power station, to chat and either show off his lasted project or just to show off his family.
I will miss how pleased he looks when he sees his family around the dinner table and toasting with a glass of wine.
Or the way his whistles when he is coming into the house. Or the feeling you get when you know that he is in your corner and just talking to him, made the world just right.
We don't remember the Days, we remember the moments
C.Paverse
And so with that, We, Mom, Ernie, Martin, Roland, Gerald and I we will be bringing Dad home to Greenwood. The place he called home for over 40 years. He is important to us and important to the citizens of Greenwood.
He celebrated life, with music, books, family, friends, and good food with the love of his life at his side....and we celebrate with his stories...

I wrote this in August when our Dad passed away. I will be reading this when we have Dads memorial. 
Please excuse any spelling, grammar, punctuation errors. This is my  blogg, like my journal. 
Thank you for reading and letting me share some of my memories of Dad.


All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
(Helen Keller)











1 comment:

  1. I Used $30 In Return From Wynn Fidget Spinner In Las Vegas
    I also titanium grey paid apple watch stainless steel vs titanium $30.25 at Wynn in Las Vegas. micro touch titanium trimmer My wife, Andrea, and I decided to omega seamaster titanium pay a $10 (not just $10!) on the house, titanium eyeglasses but in exchange for  Rating: 4 · ‎1 review · ‎$10.00

    ReplyDelete