Wednesday 26 September 2012

August 2012

We did not know this was Dad's last weekend. Mom visiting Dad, on the deck at Jubilee Lodge and they toured around the deck looking at the flowers, the strawberries, and counting the ripe tomatoes.  Soon, I was taking a week off work, as a holiday to Alberta and I assumed that Dad would be still with us when I returned.
But, the Dr. called a meeting, and Ernie was flying to Prince George, and it was time to rally the family. It was awesome that Andrew surprised me by coming home. I was glad he was here to say good-bye to his Grandpa.
This man who was always there. Who could fix nearly anything. You could tell anything....was no longer going to be here with us. Dad was asleep, but I felt he could hear us...we called him Mr. Mayor a toe would wiggle...or he would grunt yes....
You see, Dad went from sitting in his wheel chair on Saturday and Sunday, to asleep on Monday...he was doing that more often now.
Dad's time on earth was coming to a close. And, I felt I needed to spend even more time with him. He needed to hear me...I needed to tell him about his grandchildren, about Mom, about me. I needed to tell him once more that I loved him. And I didn't want to leave him...not alone. So, I stayed. Gerald stayed. Mom stayed. Andrew came and went and stayed alot. And finally Ernie arrived, and he stayed too. We watched the Olympics, we told Arno, Dad stories. We ate food, drank coffee. We most importantly talked to our Dad.
I had the honour of spending the night with Dad. Thank goodness for Lazy Boy Chairs in the room. I read, talking to Dad. It was like he was waiting for something, someone. Tracey's birthday and Gerald and Pam's anniversary are the 1st of August. I think he was waiting for that day to pass. He didn't want to spoil a good celebration. And so, we wished Tracey Happy Birthday, and Happy Anniversary to Pam and Gerald. And when Gerald came to visit, Ernie brought in wine and we toasted the birthdays, the anniversaries, the 5 children, 6 grandchildren, 3 great-grandchildren, Mom and Dad.
I was very glad to spend the night at Jubilee with Dad, Mom, and Ernie....
Dad passed away August 2nd at 7:45 a.m.
A lot of events happened after that, lots of hugs, lots of tears, lots of phone calls...we did this all at Dad's bed side. It was like he was still with us in spirit. And as long as his spirit was still there, we needed to stay.....and watching Mom, spending time alone with Dad, saying her good-bye....
The days afterwards, sort of a blur. Roland flew up, Ernie was here, Mike came to town. There were lots of food at Gerald and Pam's, and my house...we ate well, we made Toasts to Dad, the family.
I am sad that my father is in heaven. He is at a good place. There isn't a day I don't think about him. But, I do know I am very lucky to have had a father to attend my graduation, he walked me down the isle at my wedding, he baptised each one of my children. And he did the toughest job a Father in law could do, bury his son in law. And got to see each of his great-grandchildren. And I got to dance with my father one more time, even if it was in the hallway at Jubilee Lodge. I won't ever forget that he loved me, and that when I was dealing with cancer... he said, that I was the strongest, bravest woman he knows. And when I am dealing with a tough situation...I will remember those words.


After 58 years still holding hands 



Uncle Andrew and his god daughter Audrey 
Grand Uncle Roland 
Flowering Bush from Mikes Sisters 

Audrey holding Grand Uncle Geralds  Nose


Pizza Party at Pedde's


6 pizza's count them we did 6 Pizza's !!
doing the wave at the Ernie Vs Donnie Soccer game


BBQ Chef! yummy


Looking at old photos, going down memory lane

picnic on Grandma Julie's Lawn

Flowers sent to Mom from the Nieces and Nephew 
Grand Auntie Pam
Having some fun 
Table for One 

Halibut Feast at the Pedde Patio 

Mike Cooked Halibut, we ate till we were stuffed 



We are conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.
But, great moments often catch us unaware - - - Beautifully wrapped in what is often considered a
small one.
(Tracey Pedde had this posted on Facebook, I borrowed, Author unknown)
Until the next entry into Jewels Journal, I wish you a great day!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment